What is a Purchase Order?
A very common task in inventory management is to manage orders. To order new products from a vendor, you need to create a purchase order and to order products from your head office or another center, you need to create a transfer order. To know about how to raise a transfer order, read the article Creating a Transfer Order.
What setup is required before working with purchase orders?
Product information needs to be entered in Zenoti. To know more about how to add products in Zenoti, read the article Creating Products in Zenoti.
Vendor information needs to be entered before you can raise purchase orders for vendors. Additionally, products are also mapped to vendors to indicate the products that vendor deals in and the price information for each product. To know more about how to create vendors, read the article Creating Vendors in Zenoti.
Restricting a Center to Raise Orders
In the Admin mode, you can also restrict a particular center from raising purchase orders or transfer orders. To know more about how this is done, read the article 'Restricting a Center to Raise Orders'.
Marking a Center as a Vendor
In a multi-center setup, there might be a requirement where centers can only raise purchase orders to their head office or the main center and not directly to other vendors. To know more about this setting, read the article Enabling a Center to Receive Purchase Orders from Other Centers.
How do I raise a purchase order?
You can raise a purchase order, if your center has permissions to raise purchase orders. To raise a purchase order, perform the following steps:
- In the Inventory tab, click the Orders link.
- Click the Add Order button in the right pane.
- Select the vendor from the drop down. If you cannot see the desired vendor in the drop-down list, you need to first create the vendor in the Admin mode. To know more about how to create a vendor, read the article 'Creating A Vendor'.
Note: If your center is only allowed to create purchase order against default vendors, you will see their names here. Only the owner is given the ability to set the default vendor at the center level and this setting also applies when copying a purchase order.
- You can also raise purchase orders to another center or head office, if this setting is enabled for the other center. To know how this is done, read the article 'Enabling a Center to Receive Orders from Other Centers'.
- Enter the product name, and the quantity you wish to order and click Add. You can only products that are associated with the vendor you have selected. If you cannot see the product you wish to add, this product needs to be updated for this vendor in the Vendors page. To know more about how this is done, read the article 'Creating A Vendor'.
- The unit price, discount, and on delivery price automatically show up based on the product name as this information is entered in the Vendors page. You can update the default unit price and discount by updating this in the UNIT PRICE and DISCOUNT columns. To change the default price for this product, access the Vendors page in the Admin mode. To know more about working with vendors, read the article 'Creating a Vendor'.
- Choose a tax type for each product to be applied. The tax types are shown in the drop down list based on the tax types you have created in the Admin mode. If a new tax type needs to be applied, which is not showing up in the drop down list, you need to first create the tax type. To know more about how to create tax types, read the article 'Creating Tax Types'.
- The total value, grand total, and total tax is displayed at the bottom of the form.
- If a product needs to be deleted from the purchase order form, click the delete button (red cross).
- Enter any other charges associated with this purchase order such as discount % or Rs., shipping and handling or any other charges.
- Click Save or click Save & Raise. Note: Purchase orders that are raised cannot be edited. If you plan to edit a purchase order, click the Save button.
- Click the Update link next to the Order Date. Note: You can edit the Order Date and Raised Date even after the purchase order has been raised. By default only the owner is given permission to change these dates.
- Select the new date from the calendar drop down
- Enter the comments explaining the reason for the change and click Ok. Note: The Order Date cannot occur after the Raised Date or the delivery date.
- Click on the Update link next to the Raised Date.
- Select the new date from the calendar drop down
- Enter the comments explaining the reason for the change and click Ok. Note: The Raised Date cannot be before the Order Date or after the delivery date.
Once purchase orders are raised and products are delivered by the vendor, you can change the status of the purchase order to 'delivered'. To know more about how to accept delivery of a purchase order, read the article 'Accepting Products from a Vendor'.